Geography Department, SCSU
Dr. Mikhail Blinnikov, SCSU
Dr. Mikhail "Misha" Blinnikov is a professor of geography at St. Cloud State University in St. Cloud, MN. He is also the coordinator for the geography graduate program and director of
the Global Studies program at SCSU .
- Moscow State University Faculty of Biology (Diploma in Biology/Geobotany '92)
- University of Oregon (MA Env Studies '95)
- University of Oregon (PhD Geography '99)
Silica phytolith analysis (I am currently the President of the International Phytolith Society), biogeography of grasslands (especially in the Pleistocene), alpine plant community ecology, remote sensing/landscape change analysis, conservation of protected natural areas, geography of the North American Orthodox church.
Guilford Press published my new Geography of Russia and Its Neighbors textbook in December of 2010. Click on Guilford Press to order your copy today :) Also here is the blog that I keep to update everybody about the news on Russia's geography since the book has been published.
Geographic focus of current research
Pacific Northwest, Alaska, Minnesota and the Upper Midwest in the United States; Russia (especially Moscow City, Moscow oblast, Tatarstan, the Altay, Karachaevo-Cherkessia), Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan.
Classes I teach (boldfaced are my main ones)
- GEOG 111 Introduction to Global Geography
- GEOG 272 Physical Geography
- GEOG 303 Environmental Impact Statements
- GEOG 372 Conservation of World Resources
- GEOG 378 Geography of Russia and Its Neighbors
- GEOG 379 American Wilderness (field expedition to Boundary Waters Wilderness
- GEOG 410 Geography Tour (Moscow and the Altay 2007, 2009, 2012, 2014, 2016;
Rocky Mt National Park in 2010; Costa Rica 2015, 2016)
- GEOG 472/572 Geomorphology
- GEOG 473/573 Biogeography
- GLST 195 Global Society and Citizenship
- GLST 495 Research Seminar in Global Studies
- Yes, I know, we teach a lot here at SCSU, however...
Other things I have done at SCSU...
Director of Global Studies Program, CLA and SOPA Dean's Advisory Council, LEAP goal 10 assessment committee, many committees in the Geography and Planning department (e.g., Curriculum, Promotion and Tenure), Orthodox Christian Fellowship advising, graduate student advising.
Busy father and husband, play/write Russian folk songs (guitar), wilderness backpacking, (in town) cycling, reader at Holy Myrrh-bearers Orthodox Church