Geography Department, SCSU
Dr. Mikhail Blinnikov, SCSU
Dr. Mikhail "Misha" Blinnikov is a professor of geography at St. Cloud State University in St. Cloud, MN. He is also the coordinator for the geography graduate program.
- Moscow State University (Diploma in Biology/Geobotany '92)
- University of Oregon (MA Env Studies '95)
- University of Oregon (PhD Geography '99)
Silica phytolith analysis, biogeography of grasslands (especially in the Pleistocene), alpine plant community ecology, remote sensing/landscape change analysis, conservation of protected natural areas, geography of the North American Orthodox church. Publications page with links is being developed.
Guilford Press published my new Geography of Russia and Its Neighbors textbook in December of 2010. Click on Guilford Press to order your copy today :) Also here is the blog that I keep to update everybody about the news on Russia's geography since the book has been published.
Geographic focus of current research
Pacific Northwest, Minnesota and the Upper Midwest, Russia/Former Soviet Union(especially Moscow region, the Altay in Siberia and Teberda, Karachaevo-Cherkessia, Kazakhstan), Central Alaska and Kodiak, Alaska.
Classes I teach (or have taught)
- GEOG 111 Introduction to Global Geography
- GEOG 316 Geographic Information Systems
- GEOG 372 Conservation of World Resources
- GEOG 378 Geography of Russia/former Soviet Union
- GEOG 379 American Wilderness (mainly in BWCAW; Yellowstone in 2007)
- GEOG 410 Geography Tour (Moscow and the Altay 2007, 2009;
Rocky Mt National Park in 2010)
- GEOG 472/572 Geomorphology
- GEOG 473/573 Biogeography
- GEOG 610 Research Process in Geography
- SOV 100 Eurasian Studies
- Yes, I know, we teach a lot here at SCSU, however...
Other things I have done at SCSU...
Member of the SARC Board, Eurasian Studies committee, LEAP assessment committee, many committees in the Geography department (Curriculum, Promotion and Tenure), Orthodox Christian Fellowship advising, graduate student advising.
Busy father and husband, play/write Russian folk songs (guitar), wilderness backpacking, (in town) cycling, reader at Holy Myrrh-bearers Orthodox Church