- Doctorate of Philosophy, Educational Psychology
University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
Dissertation: Relational and Physical Aggression: The Effect of Language Skills and Gender
- Master of Arts, Communication Disorders
University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
Thesis: Early Speech Production of Children with Cleft Palate
- Bachelor of Arts, Linguistics and French
Augsburg College, Minneapolis, MN
- MN Department of Health, Speech-Language Pathology Licensure
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) Certificate of Clinical Competence, Speech-Language Pathology
- 8/06-presentAssistant Professor, Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders, St. Cloud State University, St. Cloud, MN
Teach communication sciences & disorders undergraduate and graduate courses;
- Supervise clinical practica for speech-language pathology students, with emphasis on working with young children with autism;
- Participate in community collaborations to develop speech-language pathology services for children with autism and English language learners.
- 8/05- 8/06Coordinator of Foundations of Education Program, Department of Educational Psychology, Special Education, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- Taught special education classes to Elementary Education students and Early Childhood/Special Education students;
- Supervised practicum placements of Elementary Education students;
- Advised Elementary Education students regarding special education licensure requirements;
- Participated on Early Childhood/Special Education licensure committee.
- 2/04-8/05Director of Communication, Speech, and Language Services, Minnesota Autism Center, Minneapolis, MN
- Developed program that integrated speech/language pathology and applied behavior analysis services for children with autism;
- Provided communication assessments and interventions for children with autism;
- Trained behavior therapists and families on strategies to facilitate communication development of children with autism.
- 6/03-12/03Research Associate, Center for Early Education and Development (CEED), University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- Coordinated training, technical assistance, and outreach activities on Individual Growth and Development Indicators (IGDIs) with Minneapolis Head Start programs;
- Analyzed research results on IGDIs from Head Start and other projects.
- 9/00-6/03Graduate Research Assistant, CEED, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- Coordinated a project for Minneapolis PICA Head Start on emergent literacy IGDIs;
- Coordinated a research project on inter-method agreement for different forms of aggression;
- Participated on a Minnesota Department of Education grant measuring growth and development of language skills.
- 9/99-6/00Clinical Supervisor for Speech-Language Pathology graduate students, Department of Communication Disorders, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis
- Supervised initial practicum experiences for students at the University’s speech-language clinic and community preschools;
- Initiated contacts and developed practicum experiences in community toddler and preschool Early Childhood Special Education (ECSE) programs;
- 12/94-8/99Communication Disorders Specialist, Intermediate District #287, Plymouth, MN
- Provided consultation and early intervention for young children and their families in 13 school districts, home- and center-based, with a specialization in autism spectrum disorders;
- 9/91-12/94Director of Therapy Services, St. David’s School for Child Development & Family Services, Minnetonka, MN
- Supervised services for physical, occupational, speech-language, & music therapies;
- Performed administrative duties, budgeting and program development;
- Initiated and implemented Medicare certification for Therapy Services;
- Provided early intervention for young children;
- 8/89-9/91Speech-Language Pathologist, St. David’s School for Child Development & Family Services, Minnetonka, MN
- 3/85-8/89Speech-Language Pathologist, Mercy Medical Center, Coon Rapids, MN
- Supervised speech-language pathologists;
- Performed administrative duties, including budgeting and staff supervision;
- Expanded pediatric services;
- Provided intervention for infants, children, and adults;
- 3/84-3/85Speech Language Pathologist, Rehabilitation Specialists, Minnetonka, MN
- Provided intervention for adolescents/young adults with disabilities;
- Provided in-services for staff, including training in sign language.
- Estrem, T. (under review at Multiple Voices for Ethnically Diverse Exceptional Learners, a CEC peer-reviewed journal), Prevalence and disproportionality of autism spectrum disorders for English language learners.
- Estrem, T. (under review at Teaching English as a Second Language—Electronic Journal, a peer-reviewed journal). Expressive Vocabulary Development of Immigrant Preschoolers Who Speak Somali, Spanish, and Hmong.
- Estrem, T. (2009). Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders who are English Language Learners: Educational Services. Wisconsin Speech-Language-Hearing Newsletter.
- Estrem, T. & McConnell, S. (2008). Emergent literacy development of immigrant preschoolers who are Somali-, Spanish-, and Hmong-speaking (Technical Report 9). Retrieve from University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Get It, Got It, Go Website: http://ggg.umn.edu/techreports/ecri_report9.html
- Cadigan, K. & Estrem, T. (2007). Identification and assessment of Autism Spectrum Disorders. Impact, 19 (3). Institute on Community Integration, University of MN.
- Estrem, T. (2005). Relational and physical aggression among preschoolers: The effect of language skills and gender. Early Education and Development, 16 (2), 207-231.
- Cadigan, K. & Estrem, T. (2004). Autism in young children: Information for parents. In Canter, A., Paige, L., Roth, M., Romero, I. & Carroll, S. (Eds), Helping children at home and school II: Handouts for families and educators. Bethesda, MD: National Association of School Psychologists.
- Tervo, R., Estrem, T., Bryson-Brockman, W., & Symons, F. (2003). Single-case experimental designs in behavioral-developmental pediatrics. Journal of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics.
- McEvoy, M., Estrem, T., Rodriguez, M., & Olson, M. (2003). Relational and physical aggression among preschool children: Inter-method agreement. Topics in Early Childhood Special Education.
- Estrem, T. (2001). Review of DEC recommended practices, Sandal, McLean, & Smith (Eds.). Minnesota DEC Network.
- Estrem, T. and Broen, P. (1989). Early speech productions of children with cleft palate. Journal of Speech and Hearing Research, 32, 12-23.
At Professional Conferences or Trainings:
- Estrem, T. Kramer, D., & Mabbott, A. (2010). Collaboration across the Fields of ESL and Speech-Language Pathology. Minnesota Department of Education ESL, Bilingual, & Migrant Education Conference, St. Paul, MN.
- Estrem, T. & Tilstra, J. (2010). Communicating Progress: Tools for Data-Based Decision-Making. MSHA Spring Convention in Alexandria, MN.
- Estrem, T. & Kurinski, E. (2010). Speech-Language Pathologists’ Competence in Serving Culturally/Linguistically Diverse Clients. Poster at MSHA Spring Convention, Alexandria, MN.
- Knutson, L. & Estrem, T. (2010). One Somali Parent’s Perceptions of treatment for her child with Autism Spectrum Disorder: Survey research in the Somali community. Poster at MSHA Spring Convention in Alexandria, MN.
- Estrem, T. & Hussein, F. (2010). St. Cloud Area Somali Families’ PerA Spring Convention in
ceptions of Cultural and Social-Emotional Needs. THRIVE Coalition meeting in Sauk Rapids, MN.
- Tilstra, J. Estrem, T, & O’Hara, K. (2009). Communicating Progress: Tools for Data-Based Decision-Making. ASHA National Convention in New Orleans, LA.
- Estrem, T. (2009). Red Flags for Autism in Infants and Toddlers. THRIVE Professional Learning Community on Infant Mental Health, St. Cloud, MN.
- Estrem, T. (2009). School Services for English Language Learners with Autism. Autism Summer Institute, National Development Center on ASD, Minneapolis, MN.
- Estrem, T. (2009). Differences in Diagnosis of Autism Between Immigrant and Non-immigrant Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders. Poster at Minnesota Speech-Language-Hearing Association Convention, Bloomington, MN.
- Estrem, T., Cassady, B., Gilbertson, A., Pollack, G., & Neilsen, J. (2009). The Role of the Educational Speech-Language Pathologist in Serving Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders. Autism Society of Minnesota Conference, Minnneapolis, MN.
- Estrem, T. & Lamb, K. (2009). Facilitating Social Interactions Using a Voice Output Device with a Boy with Autism and Anxiety. Autism Society of Minnesota Conference,Minnneapolis, MN.
- Estrem, T. (2009). Autism Spectrum Disorders. Center for American Education, Singapore.
- Estrem, T. (2008). The Role of the Educational SLP Working with Children with ASD. West Metro SLPs, Chaska, MN.
- Estrem, T. (2007). Training implications for speech-language pathologists who work with children with autism. MSHA Conference, Bloomington, MN.
- Estrem, T. (2006). Early literacy development of immigrant preschoolers who are Somali-, Spanish-, and Hmong-speaking. Poster at ASHA Convention, Miami, FL.
- Estrem, T. & Cadigan, K. (2004). Early literacy skills of young children with autism. Minnesota Autism Conference, Minneapolis, MN.
- Estrem, T. (2003). Girls’ aggression: Current research and potential intervention strategies. Third Annual White Earth Reservation Brain Development Conference Responding to Differences, White Earth, MN.
- Estrem, T. (2003). Individual Growth and Development Indicators: Preschool assessment on concepts of emergent literacy skills. Minnesota’s Early Intervention Summer Institute, St. John’s University, Collegeville, MN.
- Estrem, T. (2002). Language skills of relationally and physically aggressive preschoolers. Poster at Division for Early Childhood Conference, San Diego, CA.
- Estrem, T., McEvoy, M., Rodriguez, M., & Olson, M. (2001). Relational and physical aggression in preschool children. Poster at Division for Early Childhood Conference, Boston, MA.
- Estrem, T. (1999). Strategies to promote communication and manage challenging behavior in young children with autism. 7th Annual Statewide Conference for Paraprofessionals, Hutchinson, MN.
- Estrem, T. and Broen, P. (1984). Early lexical and phonemic development of children with cleft palate. Mini-seminar at ASHA Convention, San Francisco, CA.
CURRENT COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
- Minnesota Department of Education Autism Network
- Member of Thrive Professional Learning Community on Infant Mental Health
- Evaluator of Blue Cross/Blue Shield Planning Grant
- Board of Directors of Arc Midstate
- Minnesota Department of Health Clinicians’ Workgroup, and Cultural Influences Workgroup
- Multicultural Affairs Committee at SCSU
- Assessment Committee for CSD
|I teach courses in diagnostics and assessment, ethics and professional issues, child language development and disorders, and autism. I supervise graduate students in the departmental speech and hearing clinic. My current research interests include autism assessment and interventions, speech-language pathologists' training needs with autism and emergent literacy skills. I am also very interested in and committed to recruiting diverse students to the department and the profession.